RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

Titanic (1997)



Recently I wondered if there was any year that I could say I have seen all the Best Picture Nominees. There are several years that I have seen all but one. However, for the 1997 nominees, I have seen them all. I know I have mentioned before that the Oscars stand as is so there is little reason to gripe about those that did not win. I would just like to say that I believe this is a year the Academy got it wrong.

I was 14 when Titanic became a worldwide phenomenon. It is the Best Picture winner that I have seen more times in the theater than any other (5). I mean no disrespect to the movie because let's face it, it was and still is a big deal. While it is a work of fiction, it is encompassed by a real event.

Titanic is a three-hour film and the only one I have ever seen in the theater that gave you an intermission. The budget was some ridiculous number, $200 million I believe, but it made well over $1 billion worldwide. Adjusting for inflation, the only movie to gross more than Titanic is Gone with the Wind. Titanic had very impressive sets, amazing costumes, and was the grandest film to come along in ages. The screenplay was mediocre and the acting was alright. It pains me to say that because my absolute favorite actress, Kate Winslet, was nominated for a Best Actress award but did not win for Titanic. She was the strongest actor in the film but she went on to win an Oscar for a better role.

I am even okay with Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" winning Best Song, although I have not heard that song in years and I would be okay with never hearing it again. *SOAPBOX SPEECH* To all of you that used this as a wedding song, you do realize it is about someone who is no longer with you? The same goes for those who used "I Will Always Love You" as your first dance. It is about ending a relationship. Please research your first song because when you do not, you look like an ass. *END SOAPBOX*

I can admit I was one of those people swept up in the Titanic craze that followed the film's release. I even went to the Titanic exhibit when it came to Pittsburgh a few years ago. The real story, and even the film, suck you in because it was a tragedy caused by complete ignorance on the part of the people in charge. I also thought Leo was just so cute in 1997. I was a 14 year old girl and liked guys who looked like 14 year old girls. I much prefer Cal (Billy Zane) now. He is tall, dark, and handsome. Cal's money is just an added bonus. *Spoiler Alert* The character kills himself in 1929 so Rose would have gotten all his money and still been able to be a free spirit. That money would have bought her quite a few roller coasters and horses. There is nothing saying she had to stay in "society" after his death.

Yes, Titanic is a grand film that is not going to fade any time soon. However, just because something is monstrous, does not mean it was a best picture of any year. The Harry Potter and Twilight films are usually the top box office movies in the year which they are released but none of them should ever win Best Picture. Because I have seen all 5 nominated films from 1997, I feel I can voice my opinion. If I got to vote for the Best Picture of 1997, my vote would go to L.A. Confidential. What it did not have in grandeur, it made up for with a superb cast. Billy Crystal hosted the 70th Academy Awards and during his opening song, he said L.A. Confidential could have been the iceberg that night. However, Titanic, the film, was unsinkable at the Academy Awards. It took home 11 of the 14 awards for which it was nominated. Titanic is currently in a 3-way tie with Ben-Hur and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the most Oscar wins for a film.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy