RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

The Sound of Music (1965)



On my short list of cities I want to see before I die, I have included the Austrian city of Salzburg. It was the birthplace of Mozart and the filming location for The Sound of Music.

The Sound of Music celebrated its 45th anniversary this year. Oprah was able to reunited the entire main cast of Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, and all 7 children.

There are sing-a-longs done in almost any major city. According solely on an episode of "Will and Grace" as my source, people even dress up in costumes inspired by the movie to attend these sing-a-longs.

The story is based on the real-life family, the Von-Trapps. The story centers around a retired Austrian Naval Captain, his seven children, and the uncertain young woman considering becoming a nun. As Germany got a little power hungry in the late 1930s, bordering countries were on the front-lines and resisting could mean your life. So it is a love story set in a time leading up to World War II.

Julie Andrews has the purest voice. She is just one classy lady. She has been knighted by the Queen of England and carries the title of Dame. *sigh* I love the British. Christopher Plummer is extremely handsome as Captain Von Trapp. The scenes at the ball where he is in his formal military attire are proof that men look best in uniform.

Salzburg offers tours for Mozart and The Sound of Music. I was amazed to hear on a "Passport to Europe" DVD that most Austrians have never seen the film. According to the tour guide, the songs are not as pretty in German and it is not Julie Andrews's voice. It still does not stop tourists from wanting to see the filming sites.

Every five years, a new DVD is released with more special features and it gives the cast a chance to reunite, even if just a few of the cast gather together. The real family moved to the United States and settled in Vermont. You can also tour this location but there is something about the backdrop of the Alps that makes me want to see Salzburg more.

Julie Andrews was nominated for Best Actress but she lost to Julie Christie that year. Julie Andrews has just won the previous year for Mary Poppins so I imagine she was not too disappointed.

***

Random observation: I have only done a few posts and already I have 2 Best Picture winners that feature women using curtains to make clothing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy