RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

Chicago (2002)



There are less than 10 movies I have seen multiple times in the theater. I can recall seeing Chicago three times on the big screen. It is one of those films that loses a little something when viewed at home without the large screen or the surround-sound.

The 1920s have never been a time I think of with fondness. It was all about excess, greed, scandal, and debauchery. All of this occurred while the United States was under Prohibition. If nothing else, at least the American government learned that banning something just leads to an abundance of illegal activities.

Chicago is loosely based on true stories of ladies of jazz committing murders. It is a story where you really do not feel compassion for any of the characters because none of them really have any redeemable qualities.

My favorite scene is "Cell Block Tango." In the scene, six of the women in prison for murder explain the circumstances surrounding their crimes. The song is extremely dark, seductive and, catchy. Any woman who has ever been wronged can relate to what these women say in the song.

I am not a fan of Richard Gere but I must say he did not do a bad job as the sleazy lawyer, Billy Flynn. Richard sang, danced, and acted and that is three more things than I can say of some out there. Renee Zellweger brought a lot of herself into the role of Roxie. She was not the greatest singer or the greastest dancer but she tried and worked to be the best she could be. Her hardwork and devotion paid off but she was never quite as good as "Velma" but that fits the story perfectly. Most roles of Catherine Zeta-Jones portray her as a beautiful woman and little else. She was a diva, a bitch, a user, and a killer in Chicago. She took home a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her portrayal as the notorious Velma Kelly. I also have to mention John C. Reilly as Amos. His "Mr. Cellophane" is amazing! Queen Latifa also did a pretty decent rendition of Mama.

Chicago is one of the very few musicals I have seen on stage and in the film version. I like them both for different reasons. I did get to see my favorite, and former Backstreet Boy (Kevin Richardson) in the role of Billy Flynn when the tour stopped in Pittsburgh in 2003. The show is definitely a crowd pleaser for a live audience and I will try to get tickets any time it is within driving distance. I equally like the film. The film version is in my top 10 Best Picture winners.

***
"No, I'm no one's wife but oh, I love my life...and all that jazz!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy