RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

Forrest Gump (1994)



Now I would like to take the time and write about my favorite Oscar winning Best Picture. I have read some reviews saying this is a movie that did not deserve to win Best Picture. I too have my own list of movies I feel should have not been nominated, let alone win the award, but the winning pictures stand. - That's all I have to say about that.

My major in college was history. I love movies that take characters through the passage of American History. Especially those occurring in the 20th century. It is a recent phenomenon that younger generations can glimpse into the lives of those who came before them through the medium of film. While this story is fiction, many important and even a few mundane pieces of Americana, are represented throughout.

Tom Hanks took home his second Best Actor Oscar for his portrayal of the slightly-slower-than-average title character. After back to back wins in 1993 and 1994, I think it is safe to say, "Tom, it's been over 15 years. You need to step up your game."

I am not sure how well this movie was received outside of the United States. Many of the events transpiring in the film are staples of American popular culture from the 1950s through the 1980s so it is understandable that the average non-American would not "get" some of these references.

While the movie and history held within are masterful, it is accompanied by what I would argue is one of the best soundtracks of any film. The score is wonderful yet understated but it is the music of the individual eras that truly sets it apart. According to sites using Billboard and Entertainment Weekly as sources, Forrest Gump is currently the 4th bestselling soundtrack in the United States. The top three are #1 The Bodyguard (mostly Whitney performing), #2 Saturday Night Fever (majority is the Bee Gees), and #3 Purple Rain (mostly Prince). The Forrest Gump soundtrack is a compilation and the highest ranking that does not depend on one artist more than others. **Honorable mention: The Dirty Dancing soundtrack is #5!!! It even beat Titanic which falls at #6.**

Forrest Gump is now itself a staple in Americana. You can eat at any of several locations of the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. I was lucky enough to eat at the Charleston, SC location in 2006. The restaurant has televisions playing, you guessed it, Forrest Gump and if you are lucky, your server will join you at your table and ask trivia about the movie while you wait for your food.

Forrest had a hand in the Vietnam War, got to meet three US Presidents, alerted the authorities at Watergate, claimed 'Shit Happens,' and inspired John Lennon's Imagine. Those are some impressive accomplishments! Maybe this movie is a little silly but it was done well, had a great cast, provided a superb soundtrack, and it gets my vote for favorite Best Picture winner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy