RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

Casablanca (1943)




I know I am going to be criticized and picked apart by most film lovers for not liking Casablanca. The movie was released 40 years before my birth so I grew up seeing this film spoofed so much that by the time I had to sit through the film in a college class, I felt I had already seen it.

It is your everyday boy meets girl, they have an epic love affair, turns out girl is married to anti-Nazi who is imprisoned at the time, "time goes by," boy opens a cafe in Casablanca, girl walks into his gin joint with husband, boy helps girl and husband flee the country. In the words of Peter Griffin, "I just saved you 2 boring hours."

The movie is also so over-quoted that it is annoying. "Play it again, Sam," is never even said in the movie yet people will argue tooth and nail that it is. I also could never bring myself to like Humphrey Bogart. I once read that he treated Audrey Hepburn terribly while filming Sabrina so I cannot like someone that treated her poorly, I am sorry. I am however, more fascinated with his marriage and love with Lauren Bacall than I am with this movie.

It is a classic and it is because of that I knew all the lines, how it ended, and the scene set-ups prior to viewing the actual film. I am not saying it would not be impressive to someone seeing it for the first time but I was left cold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy