RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

Schindler's List (1993)


I somehow managed to get through high school and college, as a history major no less, without ever having a single lesson on World War II. I fully intend to do more research on my own but I am not sure yet where to begin or how to go about it.

It was not until recently that I first saw Schindler's List. I hate to admit it but until the end of the film, I had no idea it was a true story. Seeing the survivors walk up to the real Schindler's grave and put roses on it was when it clicked for me.

This blog is meant to be about film so I will not go into my feelings about how negative and harmful religions can be. I just need to say that the events of the Holocaust were not in Biblical times. It was all happening less than a century ago. People being brainwashed by charismatic, yet vile, leaders is not something new and it is bound to continue into the future. We need to not be afraid to think for ourselves. It is important to education yourself and not be taken in by someone else's beliefs, thoughts, or actions.

I have yet to watch a film about the Holocaust that did not make my cry and really upset me. I am not Jewish and I cannot even say I am close to anyone that is. There is just something about hatred based on religion, a sin all religions are probably guilty of doing by at least some of its members, that is inherently hypocritical.

Ralph Fiennes always plays evil well. This role for him was no exception. Liam Neeson also does a stellar job, as he usually does. The film won 7 Oscars and Steven Spielberg won his first Best Director Oscar for the film.

If the viewer takes away nothing else from the film, just remember that if a self-serving business man can be changed into saving 1,100+ people from certain death, maybe you can do a little more to be a better person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy