RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

Shakespeare in Love (1998)


Is Shakespeare in Love cute? Sure. Was it enjoyable? Yeah. Did it deserve to win Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan? Wait, what? It beat Saving Private Ryan for the Best Picture of 1998? That was my initial reaction when seeing what the other Best Picture Nominees were that year.

I mean, it was a fun movie and I liked it but I don't think it was the Best Picture of 1998. I am going to guess that the Academy still had their heads up their asses because a year earlier they awarded Titanic the coveted award. Apparently the Academy needed more of the pretty, young, English girl (this time an American playing a Brit, the opposite of Kate Winslet the year before) engaged to be married to the stiff, upper class man but secretly wanting more. So she goes and screws the first artist she stumbles upon. In this case, he is a playwright, not a live-nude artist named Jack Dawson.

Again, I would pick the man the girl doesn't seem to want - in this case it is Colin Firth! I have nothing against Joseph Fiennes but he's not Colin Firth. In the same year, Joseph Fiennes played Shakespeare (who is told by Elizabeth I that Gwyneth needs to be with Colin) and Robert Dudley (who was shagging Elizabeth I). Oh, and I forgot Ben Affleck is in this movie. *groan* This was also the year that he was supposed to be left on an astroid but Bruce Willis had to go and be noble.

The opening music of the film is delightful though. I do own the soundtrack and I really did not mind the movie. I just think Saving Private Ryan was a better film and should have won.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy