RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

Ben-Hur (1959)


One of my moments of pure stupidity occurred while watching Ben-Hur. I borrowed the DVD from work and it was a two-sided disc and not labeled. I watched the second half, in its entirety, before figuring out I missed the first chunk of the movie. I did question why they would put the famous chariot race at the beginning of an almost 4-hour movie but it did not make me stop the movie and check. Then when I tried to watch the first side, it would not play in any of the DVD players in my house.

Now, for the film. All I can say is hell hath no fury like a Roman scorned. Messala totally had a thing for Judah Ben-Hur. I am not sure if it was just a bromance and it is really none of my business. Every time he said "Judah," mentally I began singing the Lady Gaga song "Judas."

Ben-Hur made the comment that only one other man had helped him and he wasn't sure why at the time. He was convinced these people helped him so he could go back and get his revenge. Okay, the one man was Jesus. I will admit I am a lapsed Christian but even I don't remember Jesus being all about revenge and killing those who have wronged you.

I was also really disappointed that Charlton Heston didn't shoot anyone in the movie. I have heard for years how gun crazy this man was and yet he did not use a gun at all in a film set in the first century. What a let down.

Perhaps the most disturbing thing is that a stunt man was killed during the filming of the chariot race scenes. And they left his death in the film! Until another 3+ hour movie with a ridiculous budget came along (Titanic in 1997), this movie had the most Oscars, claiming 11 of them. It is now tied with two other films, Titanic and LOTR: The Return of the King. To be honest, I could go the rest of my life not seeing any of these 3 films again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy