RSS
My opinion on the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards. My credentials: I watch a lot of movies. Please enjoy, comment, and share!

CURRENT COUNT: 84 out of 84

Rebecca (1940)


This is another Best Picture winner with trivia attached to it. Because it was assumed Gone with the Wind would take home the Best Picture award in 1939, the release of Rebecca was held until 1940 so it would have a chance at the award. It is also the only film, since the introduction of supporting actor awards, that won Best Picture and no other award for acting, writing, or directing. That's got to hurt.

It occured to me after seeing this film that it definitely walks a similiar line with Jane Eyre. The woman is the second wife of an older, secretive man. They live in a mansion that is creepy and set in the English countryside. Then at the end, there is a huge fire that kills a crazy woman.

The maid was a just a bit psychotic. I read that Hitchcock intended her to have "lesbian undertones." Apparently hinting at this was so subtle that I completely missed it. I just figured the woman was crazy. Not exactly a nice way to paint lesbians there, Alfred.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Blogging Oscar. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy